Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Latin Declensions

I know the Byzantines spoke Greek and not Latin, but let us not forget their Latin Roman origins. So today (after a long absence) for the benefit of the public (all two or three of you) and to help myself study even a little bit more, I will put all noun declensions in this post, except for the vocative case, because that is exactly the same as the nominative in almost all forms.

1st Declension (Feminine endings in -a; singular forms followed by plural forms)
Nominative -a, -ae
Genitive -ae, -arum
Dative -ae, -is
Accusative -am, -as
Ablative -a, -is

2nd Declension (First, Masculine endings in -us; Second, Neuter endings in -um)
Nom. -us, -i -um, -a
Gen. -i, -orum -i, -orum
Dat. -o, -is -o, is
Acc. -um, -os -um, -a
Abl. -o, -is -o, -is

3rd Declension (First, Masc. & Fem.; Second, Neut.)
Nom. varies, -es varies, -a
Gen. -is, -um -is, -um
Dat. -i, -ibus -i, -ibus
Acc. -em, -es varies, -a
Abl. -e, -ibus -e, -ibus

3rd Declensions in -i stems (First, Masc. & Fem.; Second, Neut.)
Nom. -is, -es -e, -ia
Gen. -is, -ium -is, -ium
Dat. -i, -ibus -i, -ibus
Acc. -em, -es -e, -ia
Abl. -e, -ibus -i, -ibus

And I did it without looking at my notes...woohoo.

1 comment:

Mahan Family said...

Happy one-month anniversary! Seems like just yesterday I was bribing Gabe with a pirate ship...